A note from Ruth (MD)
I went on my first expedition at the age of 21. I spent 6 months in the jungle in Borneo where I learnt more about myself than I ever imagined possible. I also learnt a great deal about other people; how they communicate, what different people’s needs are, and how people cope when they are under pressure. It was life changing for me and I knew then that I wanted to work in a world where I could be part of offering that kind of life changing experience to other people.
When Farscape began in 2004 our aim was to create similar life-changing learning experiences for leaders in business. We love to create imaginative, powerful and relevant learning experiences, both in the UK and overseas that will deliver meaningful results for the people who take part. We now have a reputation for delivering outstanding development programmes, which create significant behavioural shifts in the organisations we work with.
I’m immensely proud of the team at Farscape. They’ve worked hard to define our vision and values and to stand or fall by them. Without exception, every person who is part of the Farscape team is passionate about delivering exceptional development experiences.
Our values and what they mean for you
Our six values are our DNA. They inform how we work with you, the programmes we deliver, the way in which we deliver them and how we work with each other on a daily basis. We are:
Authentic – Our business and staff should be a role model for our clients’. To reach the level of self-awareness we expect from your people, it is essential that our own staff already have a strong sense of self, their behaviours and personal impact.
- We will always be willing to demonstrate and take part in anything we ask your people to do.
- We will communicate in a way that works best for you.
- We will set expectations to ensure there are no surprises and that there is clarity around what you expect from us and what we need from you.
Challenging – We challenge the status quo (but not for the sake of it). In order to make necessary improvements we do not take the easy route or allow people to hide. We stretch our comfort zones and ask others to do the same.
- We will get to the root cause of the needs in your business – even if it means asking uncomfortable questions.
- We’ll challenge you about your needs and requirements to ensure we are delivering the right programme for you.
- We will challenge ourselves in order to create exactly what you need, not relying on what we have done before.
Transparent – We don’t believe in using business jargon to dress up our work. We are always honest and we keep things clear and easily understandable when communicating.
- We will surprise you with an unexpected level of honesty – we won’t just tell you what we think you want to hear.
- We will share as much information as possible with you.
- We will admit our (hopefully rare!) mistakes.
Genuinely curious – We feel strongly that assumptions get in the way of building genuine relationships. We are truly interested in talking to people and listening with an open mind to what they have to say. What makes you and your people tick is our passion.
- We will take the time to gather the right information in order to design the best development programme for you.
- We will listen – without judgement or assumption.
- We will be open to building long-term, collaborative relationships with you and your people.
Aspirational – We are constantly reaching for excellence and are not afraid of experimenting. Our staff are therefore all involved in on-going professional development. It is this approach that helps to keep us at the cutting edge of behavioural development.
- We will design exciting programmes for you that push boundaries.
- We will regularly contribute to new thinking within our industry.
- We will encourage you to tell us how we could be better.
Kind – We care about how people feel and we want to create an environment that feels safe and supportive as well as challenging. Being kind to people about their fears, anxieties and vulnerabilities is so important to us.
- We’ll listen to you and your people’s concerns and worries and take appropriate action.
- We’ll help your delegates to stop judging themselves so they can get out of their own way.
- We will share our own vulnerabilities.